If I could call a do-over on life?

I majored in journalism in college. It seemed like a good idea at the time — or at least until my junior year when I realized that journalism requires talking to people. A perfect career for a lazy introvert, eh? But I stuck with it. That’s mostly because I didn’t know what else I’d want to study.

Somewhere during the course of my career, I realized that I love two things: art and code. Truth be told, I’m probably mediocre at both, but I found my passion.

But I sometimes feel like that time in journalism was wasted. I took a circuitous route to the Promised Land of a career I dig.

If I had to do it over, I would have listened to Ms. Pulchalski, my 9th grade art teacher, who damn near begged me to continue taking studio art rather than switch to a half unit of ceramics. I would have listened to Ms. Jorisch, my high school math teacher who suggested I enroll in half-year computer programming class that she taught. In college, I would have majored in graphic design and minored in computer science or the reverse. And maybe I’d be filthy-stinking-rich right now because I would have cashed-in on dot-com boom #1.

Or something.

But that’s what I’d do if I could call a do-over on life.

And you?

Plus a Monday mid-day two-fer

Web Application Form Design
Are right-aligned label forms more effective than traditional left-aligned ones? (And Luke W. links to “The Duality of Forms” by Garrett Dimon)
Marketing Reality Check: Blogs, Pods, RSS
…[M]ost Americans — notably adults with steady incomes — still get their content the old-fashioned way.
Icon Ignorance
How one designer’s choice of symbol lead to familial strife. A reminder for all of us to be aware of the cultural meanings and implications of color and iconography.

10 Responses to “If I could call a do-over on life?”

1. it is not the destination that is important – it is the journey.

2. it is not the destination that is important – it is the journey.

3. MzB says:

If I had it all to do over again I would have applied for scholarships so I could have finished college in 4 years instead of nine *doh*. I would have also gone straight into corporate training as opposed to taking the Marketing detour.

4. MzB says:

5. Jim Snyder says:

These are lies printed in the Ad Age article written by post-middle age advertising executive that don’t understand that most people once they get a taste of not having advertising won’t ever want it.

How are TV commercials still around? Anyone that I know has a dvr and doesn’t watch a single advertisement.

Guess ad execs will continue to lie until they retire. They will soon be obselete.

6. Jim Snyder says:

7. tiffany says:

Er, Jim, the Ad Age article is about what’s happening *NOW.* Say “RSS” or “Podcast” to your average (wo)man on the street, and watch the confusion spread across their faces. Indeed, marketers are ahead of the game on this one, adopting RSS, podcasts and blogging as marketing tools far far faster than adults with spending cash are consuming them. (The teen market is another story.)

8. tiffany says:

9. AG says:

Heh. Actually, an engineering and sciences background doesn’t guarantee you happiness ;)
    They’ve got most of us pushing paper around.

10. AG says:

They’ve got most of us pushing paper around.